Answered By: Susan Halpert Last Updated: Aug 24, 2015 Views: 32
Houghton uses an online system for requesting books and manuscripts. All requests for collection materials will be made in your Special Collection Request Account, which can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection.
To request materials for your class meeting at Houghton Library, please follow the following steps:
1.If you do not already have one, create a Special Collections Research Account.
(If you are a non-Harvard affiliate, please retain your username and password for future use.)
2. Sign up for your class using our Class Request Tool well in advance of the time you would like your class to meet here. Our seminar rooms are limited and book quickly.
3. When your class reservation is confirmed by a Houghton staff member, you’ll be given an “Event Title” (e.g. HOU Smith – English 206b) for the seminar.
4.You can identify materials for your class in the catalog, or, as always, Houghton reference and curatorial staff will be happy to assist you with making selections.
5. In HOLLIS+, click the “Request Item” link in the Locations and Availability tab.. In HOLLIS Classic, click first on “Availability,” then click on the request link at the bottom of this page. This action will prompt you to log in to you Special Collections Request Account and then it will produce a request form (like a call slip) with the right bibliographic information automatically filled in. You may also manually enter a request from your personal research account by selecting “Request” under the “New Requests” option on the lefthand menu in your account.
6. IMPORTANT: Toward the bottom of each request form, select your Event (rather than your name) in the drop down box next to the words “Request For:” This will ensure that these materials are set aside for your class, and not for your own visit to the reading room.
7. Please complete all requests for books and manuscripts at least seven days prior to the class meeting. Anything requested after that time may not be paged in time for your class.
8. If you return to teach the same class at a later date, ask Houghton staff to "clone" the previous event so that requests for the same materials can all be automatically resubmitted.
If you have further questions, please follow the Common Questions link in your Special Collection Request account or contact Houghton staff in the Reading Room, via e-mail Houghton_Library@Harvard.edu or by phone at (617) 495-2440.